Saturday, August 9, 2014

Finished Projects! {For Me This Time}

I'm just out of the first trimester now and let's just say that some of my clothes are getting a bit tight. I went through all the boxes in the garage and couldn't find any maternity clothes. It seems that we were convinced enough that Brenna was going to be our last child that I gave all my maternity things away. So, I went through my fabric and pattern stash and headed to the fabric store for a few more things and started sewing. Today, I finally finished this maternity top and a skirt. I used Simplicity 1359A for the top. This is only a maternity top, not nursing too, but the pattern was on sale for $1.99 and the fabric was 50% off, so I didn't mind spending the money on it. It went together really easily and the finished result fits perfectly. I plan to make a couple more of these.
A few years ago, I bought a really great skirt from Old Navy. it wasn't a maternity skirt, but it had a fold down, yoga type waistband and worked great through maternity and postpartum. I decided I really needed another one or two of them ( I don't want to buy Summer maternity clothes to wear for only another month or so, but skirts are great year round). Old Navy doesn't seem to have them anymore although I found a similar skirt in maxi version at Target, so I copied it and made my own.
The skirt is actually black and not all spotted, but I didn't get pictures until after dark, so crappy lighting
I absolutely love this since I can wear it during all stages of pregnancy as well as postpartum. I think I want a couple more in different colors since all three I have right now are black. My original skirt was a lightweight knit jersey, but I made my copy out of a cotton lycra blend since it's a little more substantial and should stretch even more.
I'm still fighting the first maternity/nursing top I started. I think I'll have a wearable top in a another  day or two, but I'm still trying to figure out the best way to adjust it since I originally wanted to make a few more.
Next, I'm working on adapting some jeans since I hate paying $35 -50 for ugly, itchy maternity jeans.



No comments:

Post a Comment