Friday, July 19, 2013

Burning Down the House

 No, we didn't actually burn down the house, just the microwave! Owen is very touchy about his food. He ate some of Cameron's peanut butter toast the other day surprising everyone. Then he asked for a piece of his own, only he didn't eat it. A little while later he complained about being hungry and I told him to eat his peanut butter toast since I wasn't making lunch quite yet. I didn't think he actually would. Well, in addition to being picky about what he eats, he is also picky about what temperature his food is. He's kind of like Goldilocks, not too hot, not too cold.
 I went to finish my cleaning. A few minutes later I was smelling something strange and realized that the microwave was on. I started to ask the older kids what was in the microwave when I realized that it was set for almost 11 minutes and smoke was coming out of it!
 Owen had decided to try to eat his toast after all only he wanted it hot. So, he tried to microwave it himself. He got in trouble by Daddy for playing with the microwave a few days ago so I didn't think he would try again. I guess I was wrong.
 Thankfully the only casualty was the plate! I think he might have gotten scared enough to not try to use the microwave by himself again. At least I hope so!
 Does anyone know how to get burnt peanut butter toast smell out of a microwave? I cleaned it out and microwaved a bowl of vinegar in it and it still stinks! A new one isn't exactly in my budget right now and with Owen starting the keto diet we'll be using it a lot to heat up his "special" foods.





4 comments:

  1. Try putting some bicarb soda on a plate and leaving it in there for a while. It may work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Microwave about a quarter of a bar of ivory soap until it stop expanding. Your kids will be entertained by it and it smells great. (you can still use the soap after)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure about a microwave but hydrogen peroxide mixed with baking soda and a drop of dish soap will get smells out of a lot of things...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm going to start trying them now.

    ReplyDelete