Saturday, February 15, 2014

Happy Birthday Devon!

My oldest biological (I have two older stepdaughters) child is SEVENTEEN! I know the proper thing to say here is that it just doesn't seem like my baby can possibly be that old, but it's not true in Devon's case. Devon was one of those babies who was born ticked off that she was trapped inside the body of a helpless little baby. She has been persistent, independent, and incredibly capable at every stage of her childhood.
Having Devon was definitely a crash course in parenting. Kind of like beginning gymnastics by competing at the Olympics as your first meet. My mother always told me that things would be just fine once Devon was actually old enough to do all the things she already thought she should be able to do and, as usual, my mother was right. Devon is growing up to be amazing!
She is still persistent, independent, and incredibly capable. The traits that seemed so obnoxious when she was 1 or 2 or even 12 are serving her quite well at 17.
Devon with Duncan
Devon with Brenna
Devon knows what she wants and when she wants it and is more than willing to put in the work necessary to make sure it happens. She started school this year for the first time (previously homeschooled) as a college student and has already been invited to join the school's Honor Society. We've received several complements from her adviser and  primary instructor.
Hobbit Party cake made by Devon
Brenna's Birthday cake by Devon
I have always said that I'm not raising children, I'm raising adults and it has worked well in this case. I know Devon will do great on her own, although I am glad that we have at least one more year of having her here with us.
Fixing a broken door
Baking with Owen

Handling a car breakdown
Hanging out with friends in Seattle
Please don't think that I don't miss my first little baby, I do. But, I love the young woman she has grown into just as much.
Devon and Morgan
Happy Birthday Devon!



No comments:

Post a Comment