Friday, December 6, 2013

Dinner Rolls

 I've been trying to find the perfect dinner roll recipe for years now and I think I've finally got it. The base recipe is from Bolivia and has measurements like spoonful and scoop, instead of Teaspoon, Tablespoon and Cup like modern recipes. I decided it's time to write it down how I actually make the recipe and in English, so I thought I'd post it here too.

Sponge ingredients
2T yeast
1/4 C lukewarm water
2 T sugar
Mix these 3 ingredients in a large bowl and let soak for 5 min. Then add
2 C lukewarm water
2 C flour
Mix well, cover with a clean dish towel and let rest in a warm place until doubled.

2 C milk
1 1/2 C butter
While waiting for the sponge to double, scald(bring to just below a boil) the milk in a small saucepan.  Then add the butter and stir until melted. Let this mixture sit and cool to lukewarm temp.

Once the sponge is doubled add
1 1/2 C sugar
2 t. salt
6 eggs, slightly beaten
1 t. vanilla extract
and the cooled milk/ butter mixture.
Then start adding flour mixing well until a very soft, but workable dough is reached. The original recipe calls for 10 cups of flour, but I always end up adding quite a bit more. I honestly don't measure after the initial 10 cups, but probably about 14 total. The dough should be just barely workable. On a well floured board, knead until bubbles burst.  Place dough back into the bowl, cover with the towel and let double in a warm spot again. 
 Once the dough has doubled, divide into rolls and place in a well greased pan. Let rise again and bake at 300F for 45 min to 1 hour depending on the size of your rolls.

 This dough is also wonderful for making cinnamon rolls or cinnamon swirl bread (made just like cinnamon rolls, only place the rolled up log into a bread pan instead of cutting it into rolls). It makes a nice braided Challah type bread too.
 Brenna really enjoyed the cinnamon swirl bread!

 {Devon has actually asked me not to post recipes on the blog. She thinks no one will come to our house anymore if they can make the same food for themselves. I guess people only come here for the food.}

No comments:

Post a Comment