Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Taco Soup

Taco soup is probably my most requested recipe. It's so incredibly easy I have trouble even calling it a recipe. It is infinitely adaptable for any number of people and it is perfect for both the crock pot and the freezer, although I hardly ever bother with either since it is so easy to put together.


 Start by browning a pound of ground beef (or turkey). I usually buy large packets of hamburger at Costco and brown it all at once. Then I put about 2 cups into quart size freezer bags for future soups and casseroles including this recipe.
 Next open one can of corn, drain and put in the pot with the ground beef. You don't really have to drain the corn, but I don't like the taste of the broth on commercial canned corn. Yes, you can use home canned and even frozen, they both work great.
 Then add one or two cans of diced tomatoes. I usually add one big can, but I didn't have any this time, so I used two little ones. DO NOT drain the tomatoes, you want the tomato liquid.


 Now, start opening cans of different types of beans. I try to use at least 3 different types, but really you can add anything you wish. Five cans is about perfect for my family, but it's easy to add more if we have guests. If you add more than about 8 cans of beans, you might want to add more tomatoes and corn. Then dump in the cans of beans, broth and all. DON'T drain the beans. You want the bean broth ( although the kids did drain the beans once and we just added water and bit more seasoning then usual. It was still pretty good, but not AS good).

 Finally add taco seasoning to taste. I'm guessing one packet would be good if you buy packets. I buy my seasoning bulk and have never actually measured, so you'll just have to guess. Mix everything up and heat until just boiling.


We usually serve shredded cheese on top and tortilla chips on the side. Cornbread is really good with it too, but Taco Soup is usually what we make here on busy days when I haven't planned anything for dinner, so we usually don't get cornbread made. This is such a perfect thing to make for days that don't go exactly according to plan. It's great for unexpected guests too. So quick and easy and, like I already said, everyone loves it.





No comments:

Post a Comment