Saturday, May 24, 2014

You Might Be a Homeschooler If...

You stalk the mail box for a week waiting for this to show up!
Connor is using these for something I only barely understand. It has to do with reclaiming gold off of computer parts and involves several steps. My rule is that the kids have to know what they are doing enough to explain it to me (even if I don't understand) and demonstrate the use of proper safety equipment and precautions. This particular experiment is being done outside in the carport since some of these chemicals (or combinations thereof) aren't really indoor suitable without a much better ventilation system than we have. Sometimes I wonder what government watch list we've put ourselves on with all the chemicals and supplies we order. I often have people ask me how I can teach things like chemistry without all the chemicals and equipment. I don't think people realize that you can get all the same stuff at home. Well, there was one thing Connor wanted that would have been difficult to get for home use, but he was able to figure out a way to make something else work instead. Which just seems like even more of a learning experience to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment