Monday, May 12, 2014

Flats and Handwashing Challenge #4 2014


imtakingthe2014flats

It's that time of the year again! The annual Flats and Handwashing Challenge. This will be my second year participating. The first year I heard about the challenge right after it was over. The second year, I was all ready to take the challenge, then I ended up having a c-section with Brenna and decided that leaning over a bucket washing diapers wasn't going to be a good idea. Last Year, I did participate and while using flats exclusively wasn't a problem, I will admit that I wasn't thrilled with the handwashing part.
This year I almost didn't participate at all. Why? Because I'd already proven that I could do it and I'm really pressed for time right now. Plus about two months ago, our washing machine broke and I ended up washing ALL of our laundry by hand for over a week until we realized that it was going to cost more to fix the old machine than to buy a new machine, Then we actually had to buy the new machine. I got pretty sick of washing all of our clothes (okay, not actually all of our clothes since many didn't get washed at all that week). I decided that I had done my task and didn't need to participate in the challenge this year.
So, why did I change my mind? Because I keep hearing about how many families are struggling to provide diapers for their children right now. I really think this challenge is a great way to show that cloth diapering is a legitimate option, even on a budget and even without a washing machine. I'm also expecting it to be easier this year since I'll only be diapering one toddler and not a baby and a special need pre-schooler like last year. I figure I'll be using less than half as many diapers as last year. So, here goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment