Monday, May 20, 2013

Flats and Handwashing WHY!??!!







Today's topic is what is my motivation for wanting to participate in the challenge AKA why on earth would you want to do something crazy like this. I've always been a strong supporter of cloth diapering, especially for reasons of frugality. The flat part of the challenge doesn't really phase me (I did make 2 thick 36 x 36 flats for my special needs 3.5 year old at night). Using flats mostly means that my little ones are in a cover with a pad folded flat instead of a cover with a tri-folded prefold. Not really much difference. The handwashing part is my challenge. Would I really cloth diaper if I had to hand wash everything? The answer is.. I don't know. This week I expect to find out. I can tell you that last year I was 2 weeks post really complicated c-section when the challenge came around and I decided against participating. I did cloth diaper during that time, but with the aid of my washer and dryer.
 I also have this little thing (problem?) about doing everything myself, from scratch. A friend of mine refers to it as the "Little House on the Prairie Syndrome". I guess the challenge falls into that for me. I also know that my Mom washed my diapers by hand when I was a baby. I guess I just want to know if I can really do it without giving up, and if I would for longer than a week if that was my only option.
I plan on doing my first load of washing tonight, so we'll see how it goes. Tonight will also be our first overnight in flats. I'm not worried about Brenna, but hopefully I'll have enough absorbancy for Owen.

No comments:

Post a Comment