Thursday, May 2, 2013

Biscuits

Our friends at The Baker's Dozen have been asking for our biscuit recipe. So, here it is. This is a large family adaption of the Baking Powder Biscuit recipe in my Betty Crocker's Cookbook. This makes two large (Costco type) baking sheets worth with a little dough left over for kids to eat raw. Yes, my kids like to eat raw dough.

Biscuits
6 cups flour
3 T sugar
1 t salt
3 T baking powder ( I use Rumford non aluminum)

Mix well and add

1 1/2 cups of shortening( I use Spectrum palm oil shortening)

 Blend GENTLY with a pastry blender, it should be crumbly looking with lumps. Stir in

2 1/4 cups of milk

Dough should be sticky, but workable. It is very wet around here dry climates may need 1/4 cup less milk.

Roll out on a floured board( table, counter top) to about 1/2 inch thick. It's better that they be too thick than too thin. Cut with a biscuit cutter ( I stole mine from my Grandma when I was about 5), large glass, or a canning ring. Place on cookie sheets and bake at 450 degrees( Oh Yeah, don't forget to preheat the oven before you roll out the biscuits) in a PRE-HEATED oven. Can you tell the part I always have trouble remembering?

Makes enough biscuits for 1 meal and a snack for my family of 2 adults, 2 teenagers, 1 almost teenager, 2 middle kids, 1 pre-schooler who doesn't like to eat and 1 baby who eats ANYTHING. I hate it when recipes tell you something serves 4 or 6.  4 or 6 what? Certainly not teenage boys! They should have to tell you that it serves 2 adults and 2 small children or something useful like that. I still remember the first time I made a recipe from our Baker's Dozen friends. I automatically doubled it, since I was doubling everything at the time( I usually triple now). I completely forgot it was Renee's recipe until I started putting the crescent rolls on pans and barely had enough pans.

I'll post our pancake and pizza dough recipes soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment