Saturday, May 18, 2013

Cloth Diapers

 I knew even before I had kids that I wanted to cloth diaper. I had worked as a nanny for a few years before Rod and I married and the families I worked for both used cloth, so I was already used to them. I chose cloth for many reasons. They are more environmentally sound, they are better for baby's skin (extremely sensitive skin runs in both of our families), they are cheaper, and I think they are more convenient. I never have to run to the store for diapers in the middle of the night, or worry about affording diapers at the end of a budget tight month. When our 4th child was a baby, my mathematically inclined husband worked out the costs of cloth diapering including diapers, covers, soap (and other laundry additives), water, and electricity. He figured out that we could cloth diaper 3 children for the price of one in disposables.
 When Devon was born I had 3 dozen cheap prefolds (the discount store type), 6 pull on nylon covers and a few dozen flat diapers that I had bought to use as burp cloths. I quickly discovered that the prefolds were way to big on her and started using the flats as diapers. As she got bigger I learned that the prefolds I bought were not very absorbent., but we couldn't afford a whole new stash of better quality ones. I started using disposables at night and when we left the house and the prefolds and flats at home. Then Devon started breaking out from the disposables (in the beginning she could use them once in a while). We could only use ONE expensive brand on her and only one or two a day. I gradually bought some diaper service quality prefolds and some velcro covers (Rod refused to use pins after poking her once).  By the time Connor was born I had a nice stash of diapers and we now only use disposables for trips of more than 2 or 3 days.
 Why am I telling you all about my diapers? I have decided to participate in the flats challenge! It starts on Monday and the blog topic for that day is why I decided to do the challenge, so I'll post my motivations on Monday.



2 comments:

  1. You go girl! One tiny, little part of me wants to participate since I do everything but hand wash anyway...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to last year, but since I was 2 weeks post c-section with Brenna I decided not to try. The hand washing is the part I'm worried about. I'm fine using flats.

      Delete