Friday, May 24, 2013

Flats Challenge- What is Working




I'm participating in the Flats and Handwashing Challenge by Dirty Diaper Laundry.

What is working? Using flats isn't a problem at all. They take a little more time to fold than prefolds, but less time than stuffing pocket diapers. I was a little worried about using them on Owen overnight, so I made 2 larger flats(36 x36) out of a thick knit fabric. One night he fell asleep before I got one of the extra thick diapers on him and did just fine though.
 Hanging the diapers to dry isn't really a problem either even though they seem to take 14-24 hours to dry here in the ever wet Pacific NW. It just means I need a few more diapers than some people, but since they are so cheap that isn't really a problem. I could still come up with enough to cover 2 babies(toddlers really) for under $100 easily.
 Handwashing really isn't as bad as I thought it would be once I stopped overdoing my routine. My diapers actually smell better than they did before! I'm still not sure I would want to handwash full time, but part time or during emergencies (like my washing machine breaking, we're on our 3rd machine in 4 years!) is totally doable.

No comments:

Post a Comment